These rules apply to the website as a whole. The forum has its own additional rules, which you can find there. For the Discord and the rules which do not apply to it, see the server.
Before detailing, we must note that any community thrives on debate and clash between ideas–anyone willing to abide by the below rules is welcome with open arms, regardless of whether they hold ideals which differ from those stated on our About Us page.
1. Basic Respect
- The golden rule is to always remain civilized. We won’t tolerate anyone who resorts to personal insults or inflammatory comments. Any type of discriminatory insult will be punished appropriately, as well as attacks on someone’s personality. The same goes for harmful vocabulary (e.g. “retard”, “trannie”, “faggot”, “autist”, “nigger”, “slut”…).
For the exact shape of these consequences, see the “Enforcement Policy” section below.
- Besides harmful vocabulary, one should not belittle other people’s experiences, or attempt to minimize the validity of their existence. Members must respect the way people understand and describe themselves. This ranges from implying that people’s struggles are “not as bad as they say they are” to attempting to rephrase the way people describe and categorize their identity.
- In a more general way, do not ever let your discussions devolve into insult, for instance where you belittle the other for having arguments or taste you see as inferior.
- This will not necessarily keep problems from happening. Vocabulary is necessarily a field full of grey zones, so we are understanding in this regard; but we consider that when a problem happens, the burden to listen is on the person who may have offended, and not the reverse. The spirit of listening and understanding is one we value to the highest point. As an example, we trust that in the case of the “unwitting use” in the “Enforcement Policy” below, the offender can listen and apologize without the forceful resolution of a mod; such intervention will happen in case the offender is unwilling to listen, or if the abuse is judged to be deliberate (for instance, if it is done repeatedly).
- Another area of difficulty is that of coded rhetoric (e.g. “globalists” to refer to Jews). In this case, we will see if such wording is used regularly; moderators will judge if the use is merely accidental (such as in the case of an unfortunate appropriation of charged language, or the remains of a “dark” past), or if it is deliberate dogwhistling, in which case sanctions will follow.
- It should go without saying that all the offenses listed above will be deleted wherever they appear.
- Consequently, we ask the utmost mutual respect of our users. As a website with a varied community, you must respect the privacy and dignity of all: as examples, do not disclose the sexuality or gender identity of someone who has not come out yet; do not speak a trans person’s deadname unless they explicitly allow it; chasing, doxxing, harassment, threatening and the like are obviously out of the question and any attempt to force oneself on another member will result in a swift ban. In a more general way, do not express ideas that deny people their humanity, their rights, or their more personal struggles (such as mental illness, obesity…).
- In the same spirit, we encourage all members to preface sensitive topics by content warnings. They are not meant to be exhaustive and can never be; but if you know you are about to touch on topics that could hurt readers (e.g. transphobia, sexual assault), you are a kindly asked to warn readers in advance. Failure to do so will not have consequences, however; unless in repeated cases even after others have expressed hurt.
- To members who are on the receiving end of uncomfortable behavior in private spaces (for instance, forum messages): if you do not feel comfortable confronting the other, please contact a moderator. We will do our best to keep this space comfortable to everyone.
- And finally, a note on specifically ideological discussions. Excluding those which violate the rules above, we do believe in the need for debate and shaking up of ideas; so, debate away! Note that liberals who do not violate the above are welcome to the brawl; although Vox Artes is committed to anticapitalist analysis, it does not forbid other views from expressing themselves within the community. Although you may criticize ideas as you please, please do not resort to insulting people for having beliefs you don’t share!
2. Quality of Discussion
- Please do not post aimlessly. Do not flood the comments with messages that simply read “yeah” and the like. Be careful that your comments are adding to the conversation.
- In the same spirit, please be careful of the way you express yourself. We are understanding of people who struggle with orthography for genuine reasons, but do not write in shorthand language and the like if you can avoid it; do not abuse emoji, either.
- You can link content, but watch out. NSFW is forbidden in the comments! The same goes from promotion of personal content. In the same vein, violent imagery is strictly forbidden as well as graphic text.
- When you post fanart, always link to the original source, and mention the artist’s name: for instance: by [artist name] on [link to source]. Uncredited fanart posting will be deleted and a warning will ensue!
- Spoilers won’t be tolerated. Forums benefit from an option to tag and hide spoilers (make sure to give context though, so everyone knows what you’re about to spoil: that way we’ll all be sure of whether we want to click or not). The only exception to this is links: as long as you warn people that what you’re linking contains spoilers, and what said spoilers concern, there’s no problem.
- Watch anime at your discretion. The way you watch it is entirely up to you, and it is entirely private: the Site will not be associated with it. We will not tolerate promotion of any illegal anime viewing resource.
- Memes are allowed as long as they’re in good fun; no “joking” which involves harmful ideas (e.g. bigotry, making light of suicide or self-harm) will be accepted.
- Spamming is not accepted, and will be punished appropriately.
- Plagiarism is worth an instant suspension.
- Finally, any public slandering of the website or any one member will result in a ban, as will any attempt to impersonate the Site or speak in its name.
3. Enforcement Policy
Unfortunately, there is no convenient and absolute system that would fit all cases. However, we have set up a few categories:
- Expressing views, or behaving in ways fundamentally at odds with our project will result in a simple ban. This includes any reactionary ideology, conservatism which denies the right of queer people, as well as TERFism and other subgroups of conservatives hiding behind a thin revolutionary veil. This goes for direct insults to any of our members of course, but also general ideological statements. Note that these views do not have to be expressed “seriously” to be met with such punishment; trolls will also be banned. Liberals, or other people of different backgrounds who are genuinely interested in honest engagement, are very much welcome.
- Making the odd mistake will never lead to consequences, as we value mutual trust and comprehension over ideological purity. An unwitting use of hurtful vocabulary, if understood and apologized for, will not result in any warning or suspension.
- Unapologetic use of such vocabulary will result in a warning; a second use a strike; and past the third strike, suspension for a week, and any further bad behavior, a ban.
Note that these rules are by no means meant to be restrictive. We value the freedom and well-being of our members above all else; and moderators will always act on their best judgment, as opposed to a machinal application of the above. The rules are better interpreted as guiding lines and recommendations than a dogmas or axioms. As long as respect and constructive discussion remain at the core of your approach, you shouldn’t encounter any problem.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.